Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Why I'm considering a doula
Actually, in all seriousness, I'm set up with a pretty good hospital, one that is known for being supportive of natural births and respectful of the mother's decisions. They also have spas (only for laboring though, I think), individual birthing suites, and all kinds of fun, playgroundy stuff like squat bars and birthing balls.
I am still a little uneasy, though, mostly because I know that you still have to "make your voice heard," which can be a little difficult in the throes of labor. :p I guess the main issue is specific to being in Montreal, where language issues can get people emotional and muddle communication. My OB is good about speaking English with me (there's no way I'm fluent enough in French to deal with medical issues), but there have been a couple of minor instances where our communication has been a bit iffy, and the some of the staff, like receptionists and some nurses and technicians, are even more iffy. I worry that during labor, I might have a nurse, for example, who isn't as willing or able to communicate in English with me--the one time I definitely want to be clear about what's happening. I'm even hesitant about making a rough birth plan because I know a lot of doctors roll their eyes at them anyway, let alone if they're in not written in their native language. I'm thinking a bilingual doula could help a lot.
Ian is wonderful, and he's learning about the ins and outs of childbirth along with me, :) but I don't want the burden to fall on him if, for example, the Dr. tries to do an episiotomy against my wishes. (Of course I'll talk with her beforehand about stuff like this, but you never know what might come up).
So, long story short, we're on the fence about a doula.
Thank you for abiding my rant :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment